Nea Kalikratia was founded after 1922 by refuges that came from Kalikratea east of
Its area though has had residence from prehistoric years. One important prehistoric
settlement has been found on the west district of the present village.
A characteristic finding from the classic years is the tomb bas-relief which is at
Thessaloniki archeological museum. It represents a young girl holding a pigeon. It
is a masterpiece created around 440 B.C. and seems to be work of a wandering artist
from Paro. Historians of art characterize it as “the most beautiful and closest monument
of tomb column with free style and sharp-eye”.
In 280 B.C. the king of Makedonia Antigonos Gonatas built Andigonea, in a position
with natural fortification at a distance approximately 5 km north of Nea Kalikratea.
Soon Antigonea developed and became an important city. During the Romans undertaking
against Macedonia, in 168 B.C., the Romans landed near Antigonea and tried to burn
it down. They were surprised by the Greek army, with the result 500 to be killed
and as many captured. After a short while the Romans returned with more assistance
and took over the land. During the 14th century mentioned in the area are two villages
with the name: Up and Down Antigonea.
During the Byzantine years in the valley of Nea Kalikratea were five big villages
with big monasteries of Mount Athos, Megistis Lauras, Agios Pavlos and Xenophontos.
The monastery of M. Xenophontos was called “Stomion” and amongst the other facilities
had a large tower, destroyed during the Turkish influence. On this monastery is today’s
Nea Kalikratea built.