Nea Potidea, also know as the city of Flegra, or Pallini in ancient times.


A Corinthian colony and with the name of Potidea was for a while – from the 7th century B.C. and on – a member of Athenian Alliance. In 357 B.C. it was destroyed by Philippos, the king of Macedonia but was rebuilt in 316 B.C. by Kassandros, who gave the new city the name Kassandria and also opened the canal which secured the whole peninsula. It was besieged by the Romans and the Goths and destroyed by the Huns in 540 A.D. It was rebuilt by the Byzantine emperor Justinian and fortified with a wall parallel to the canal. In 1426 the wall was reinforced by the Venetians and in 1821 it was restored by the local rebels (against the Turks) who defended themselves behind it. On 14 November 1821 the Holocaust of Kassandra took place. The village of today was rebuilt in 1922 by refugees from Eastern Thrace. It is inhabited by 1500 people. Its patron saint is St George whose icon was brought by the refugees from Platanos of Eastern Thrace. Other churches: Panagia Phaneromeni (Virgin Mary), the picturesque little church of St Nicholas, and 1500m from the village, St Efstathios (1872) of the Holy Monastery of Dochearion. There is also a settlement, belonging to the community, which consists of holiday lodgings, discos, pubs, all kinds of restaurants, confectioneries, a cinema, cafeterias and a wonderful golden beach.
Local celebrations
June 22 and 23 St John’s: old customs revived.
August 23: A feast dedicated to Virgin Mary. 3 day cultural manifestation by the Cultural, Educational Association of Potidea, with traditional dancing groups, exhibitions, puppets, celebrations and treatments of wine and pies by the local housewives.
November 14: the Holocaust of Kassandra.
Famous local products
Fish – seafood.
Sightseeing
•The Castle ruins: It is an almost straight wall of about 1.200m which at various points is supported by square towers. The two ends of the wall continue to the Toroneos and Thermaic Gulfs respectively and terminate in towers in the sea. Thus when the gates were closed (The “Doors”, which are not preserved today) it was impossible for anyone to enter the peninsula over land.
•The canal: Dimensions- length 1.250m, width 40m, depth 8m, bridge height 18m. It is not known when the canal was dug for the first time. Strabo (geographer, 1st cent. A.D.) mentions its existence. Up to 1967, entrance to Kassandra was by what the locals called a “salli”, a pontoon drawn from one end to the other by wires. In about 1970, a big bridge as built, solving Kassandras transportation problem.
•The Monument of the Destruction of 1821: This is located on a wooded hill south of Potidea.
•The chapel of Taxiarchon (The Archangels): This is located one kilometre Southeast of Potidea, on the left side of the road to Kassandra and at a distance of about 150m from it. It is the only structure that has remained of the big “metochi” (dependency) of the Dochiariou Monastery.

loading map – please wait…

Nea Potidea
40.193883, 23.330055